Handwritten notes are simple, inexpensive tools that ca help you establish and strengthen business relationships. This tool is effective because it is so rarely used. Your hand-written note will get noticed because it’s likely to be the only one a person received that day (or month)! A handwritten note is memorable. And after all, isn’t that the point?
Following are some key points, especially for handwritten notes:
- Use good quality stationery. A monogram is fine, as long as it’s professional.
- Use your best handwriting.
- Make the note personal, within a business context.
When is a handwritten note appropriate?
- To thank a co-worker or peer for extra effort on a project.
- To congratulate a customer or a client on a personal milestone such as the birth of a baby, a child’s graduation, or a promotion.
- As a follow-up to an email thank you. It’s nice to also send an additional, handwritten message that arrives one to two weeks later.
- After meeting someone at a networking event, industry program, conference or trade show.
In our highly digitized world, using hand written notes will help you be noticed.