Godin’s email checklist has been around for a few years, so you may have seen it. If not, it is definitely worth a read. There are too many recommendations to be practically used as a checklist, however, they are all good. Here are the most important recommendations to consider for your professional email:
13. Am I angry? (If so, save as draft and come back to the note in one hour).
14. Could I do this note better with a phone call?
21. Could this email be shorter?
22. Is there anyone copied on this email who could be left off the list?
23. Have I attached any files that are very big? (If so, google something like ‘send big files’ and consider your options.)
25. Are there any 🙂 or other emoticons involved? (If so, reconsider).
27. Am I forwarding someone else’s mail? (If so, will they be happy when they find out?)
29. Did I hit ‘reply all’? If so, am I glad I did? Does every person on the list need to see it?
35. Bonus: Does the subject line make it easy to understand what’s to come and likely it will get filed properly?
36. If I had to pay 42 cents to send this email, would I?
Read Godin’s entire list here.
Related Career-ology Posts: