All professional relationships require care and tending. Like a farmer who tends his field, the effective networker should not expect immediate results. Good networking cannot be rushed. Here are some additional points to remember while building your professional network:
- Relationships are fragile and take years to build, but only seconds to destroy. Be mindful of the delicate nature of relationships.
- Do for others as you would like others to do for you.
- If you attend a networking event for the first time and are desperate to find a job, your desperation will make building a relationship dif cult.
- Don’t expect to take from a group before you have first contributed.
- Other people at a networking event may feel a sense of anxiety. Be the first to smile, shake someone’s hand and introduce yourself.