Networking is a critical skill for a successful career. When you learn to do it well, you will enjoy yourself. If not, networking can be excruciating for you and the people around you. Approach networking with the idea that you want to help others and you’ll be amazed at how much you receive in return.
Kelly Eggers of Dow Jones offers her version of the do’s and don’t of networking:
- Have a Solid Introduction
- Don’t Confuse People with Your Pitch
- Don’t Tell a Sob Story
- Spend More Time Listening Than Talking
- Avoid Being Socially Inept
- Don’t Overstay Your Welcome
- Hand out Your Business Card, Not Your Resume
- Follow Up and Through
Read the full article on FINS.com.