In his blog, John Keyser, outlines principals for success in your career. Here is his list– the last bullet point summarizes the other points: Become the MVP in the eyes of everyone for all you do.
- Be positive, enthusiastic, and a source of positive energy.
- Make things happen. Don’t wait. Contribute ideas. When you see something that should be done, do it or make the suggestion to the appropriate person.
- Be authentic, yourself, and honest with people.
- Help those with whom you work, help them with their work, and help them look good and do well.
- Help your boss look good as she or he likely did for her boss as she was earning her way up in the company.
- Do not worry about personal credit. People know who is doing great work.
- Be nice to everyone and help them feel appreciated. Everyone can satisfy clients.
- Know that humility is the source of growth. Practice that.
- Be an active listener, with care!
- Be early, always!
- Do outstanding work, consistently.
- Be a presence in the community, a role model for your company and profession.
- Help your company be a great place to work, high energy, supportive, and collaborative.
- Become the MVP in the eyes of everyone for all you do.
For more principals, read John’s recent post, “What Companies Should Tell Their Employees.”