Here are 6 tips from Chapter 5: Public Speaking and Presentation Skills
- How you say it is as important as what you say. Great leaders in business, law, politics, technology, nonprofits, education, government, or healthcare are great public speakers. Think of great leaders from history. How many of your memories about these people involve them delivering a great speech?
- Your ability to speak well in front of others will have a significant impact on your career. You should practice expressing your ideas clearly and concisely.
- “Practice is to public speaking as oxygen is to life; without the first, you will surely perish.”
- Words have power and well-spoken words have a lot of power.
- Too many words turn a good speech or presentation bad.
- A person’s average speaking rate is approximately 120 to150 words per minute. Determine your own speaking rate, so you know how much content to develop given the amount of time you have to speak.